- In the Day of Rage: The Palestinian right to Land and Housing inflames rage on the Occupation
- LRC holds the Palestinian Right to land and housing conference in Palestine Ahliya University in Bethlehem
- Land Research Center conduct a workshop on “Legal defense on Palestinian Right of Lands and Housing” / Nablus governorate
- LRC participates in Committee on Food Security annual meeting/ Roma - Italy
In the Day of Rage: The Palestinian right to Land and Housing inflames rage on the Occupation
In Tuesday, November 26th, Land Research Center in partnership with An-Najah National University/ Faculty of Law , held the “Palestinian right to land and housing conference”, the conference was attended by number of officials, researchers and others interested.
The conference activities were opened by the national anthem and a moment of silence on the souls of martyrs.
Dr. Maher An-Natsheh An-Najah National University rector welcomed the audience, and said that through this conference, An-Najah University is intending to highlight Israeli arbitrary policies against the Palestinians, and to exchange experiences between the University and Land Research Center starting from their mutual vision to achieve the Palestinian full right of land and housing.
Minister Walid Assaf- Colonization and Wall Resistance Commission talked about the escalating Israeli violations in the recent years, including house demolitions, banning constructions especially in east Jerusalem , and pointing out on the importance of combating the Israeli demolition policies, Assaf also explained that the commission has a clear plan to support Palestinian steadfastness in “C” area, as it rebuilds demolished houses , 2500 houses were rebuilt in “C” area, and provided with water, electricity, Education and Health, they also built 17 schools within At-Tahadi (the challenge) program, each time the occupation authorities demolishes one of them , the commission rebuilds them.
Mr. Joseph Shakla , an expert in international law and Habitat international coalition coordinator talkedabout people’s right to land and housing in international conventions and treaties and United Nations’ resolutions , and talked about international laws and Human Rights law development and human rights are indivisible , and the main components of an adequate housing as a legal guarantee for ownership , services and environment.
Dr. Ghassan Khalid / Faculty of Law – An-Najah National University said that universities should include what is really important to the Palestinian people in the faculty’s courses plans , and insert courses nourishes national affiliation among students. He also said that we must work together for our main goal and overcome all hinders , and confirmed on the necessity of having Humanitarian International Law course as a main required course in the Faculty of Law.
Land Research Center General Manager Mr. Jamal Talab Al-Amleh presented a presentation on Israeli violations on the Palestinian Right to land and housing – facts and numbers starting from the first Zionist conference convened by Theodor Herzl in 1897 to the imperial conference in 1907 to the Sykes – picot agreement .
During the presentation, Al-Amleh presented a comparison between the Balfour Declaration in 1917 who gave what he does not own to someone who does not deserve , and the recent decisions by the United states Secretary of foreign affairs that US will no longer abide by 1978 State Department opinion that settlements are against international law.
Al-Amleh also talked about Israeli policies of house demolitions, lands confiscations and closure of Palestinian institutions in Jerusalem, he also showed several example of Palestinian legendary steadfastness.
The conference concluded with the following recommendations:
- Establishing a fund to support victims of Israeli violations, and rebuilding demolished houses.
- Supporting Palestinian existence and steadfastness in their land with all possible methods.
- Inserting International Humanitarian Law and Humanitarian Law courses in Faculties of Law programs.
- Activating Palestinian embassies’ role in attracting the public opinion in their countries that supports Palestinians and their just cause.
- Formulate a national position that recognizes farmers and Bedouins in “C” area as guards of our homeland.
- Searching for methods to activate International Humanitarian Law and Humanitarian Law.
- Promote complimentary role of Palestinians government institutions and civil society institutions in strengthening the steadfastness of Palestinians in threatened areas.
- Supporting the BDS movement, through mainstreaming the movement’s goals and principles.
Noteworthy, the conference was funded by the European Union , and implemented by LRC in partnership with An-Najah National University/ Faculty of Law and Ahliya Palestine University / Faculty of Law, under Palestinian right to Land and Housing project activity implemented in Nablus and Bethlehem, the conference was convened in the occasion of international day ofn solidarity with the Palestinian people.